/sportsinfo/media/media_files/Hp7OTjAtZNqra6kkoMU9.png)
Sandro Tonali, a midfielder for Newcastle, has been punished for two months after breaking fifty of the Football Association's betting regulations. Tonali left AC Milan for Newcastle in the summer in a £55 million deal. He is currently prohibited from playing professional football up until August 2024 due to his history of betting on Italian football games.
After joining the Magpies, he was charged with 50 more violations of FA Rule E8 for putting bets on football games between August 12, 2023, and October 12, 2023. The two-month suspension is suspended until the conclusion of the 2024–2025 season, which means that if he violates the rules again, he will be barred from all football-related activities for that duration. If, however, he stays out of trouble, he can return on August 27. In addition, the FA fined him £20,000 and issued a warning about his future behaviour.
Tonali acknowledged in the written explanations released by the FA that he had wagered between forty and fifty times on football during August and October of last year, with four of those wagers being on Newcastle to win.
The reasons mentioned by the FA were mentioned in a statement. It said, "Whilst [Tonali] did place bets on his own team, all of these bets were for his team (NUFC) to win the match in question. [Tonali]'s betting pattern is consistent in this regard. There has been no damage to integrity or perception of the integrity of the match in question or the game as a whole."
What did Sandro Tonali’s club say about the ban?
Newcastle United released a statement about the new ban on Tonali. It said, "As acknowledged by the FA in the independent Regulatory Commission's written reasons, the level of assistance Sandro has provided by self-referring and fully cooperating with a subsequent investigation is extraordinary and unprecedented.
The statement added, "Sandro made full admissions as to his betting activity, and did so in circumstances where there was no other evidence to support misconduct proceedings. Sandro is continuing to follow a therapeutic plan and educational programme with the club's full support and will continue to train with his teammates."
Follow Us